Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tempeh is awesome!


I was so nervous to try tempeh. It seems so ubiquitous in vegetarian eating, but made me nervous. As it is, I still have yet to overcome my fear of tofu. I know it is extraordinarily versatile, and I have enjoyed it here and there, but I kind of wanted a good protein source that I could just sort of handle no matter how it turned out. I've very much enjoyed tofu, but I've also very much been grossed out by it.

Enter tempeh. It's not the same enjoyment I used to get out of a cheeseburger, but it's good and it's nice knowing I'm getting protein. And it's so inexpensive! $1.79 at Trader Joe's got me a block of it, from which I've gotten two meals and counting.

I took just a little bit of butter and melted it in the pan, along with a little soy sauce and some wasabi sauce. In that, I cooked a bunch of fresh cubed pineapple. When there was enough juice in the pan, I added chopped peppers and the tempeh, and stir fried it all, then let it simmer for awhile.

It was delicious! And even better the next day, when I seasoned it with cayenne pepper. All for not very much money, lots of protein and vitamins, but very few calories!

Hooray for tempeh!



Click for my main-main blog (Myspace)

Click for my Blogspot blog



No comments:

Post a Comment